Gas Fires: Your Questions Answered

Gas Fires: Your Questions Answered

For years we have been one of Cork's premier providers of quality gas fires. Our selection includes everything from traditional hole-in-the-wall fires to modern tunnel gas fires.

As the industry and tastes have changed, so has our collection of gas fires. However, what stays the same is our customers having questions about gas fires. Purchasing a fire for a home is a big decision, and inevitably, clients have questions. For the peace of mind of anyone considering a gas fire, we have compiled the most common questions and added them along with their answers below.

How do gas fires work?

Gas fires work by burning natural gas or propane to produce heat. The gas is supplied to the fire through a pipe and is ignited by a spark or pilot light. The heat produced by the burning gas is then used to warm the room. Some gas fires also have a fan or blower to help distribute the heat more evenly. The flame's intensity and heat output can usually be controlled using a thermostat or remote control.

How do flueless gas fires work?

Flueless gas fires, also known as vent-free gas fires, do not require a chimney or vent to function. Instead, they use a specially designed burner and a catalytic converter to burn the gas efficiently and safely.


The burner burns the gas, and the catalytic converter converts the harmful by-products of combustion (such as carbon monoxide) into harmless gases (such as water vapour and carbon dioxide) before they are released into the room.

The heat produced by the flame is then radiated into the room.

Flueless gas fires are designed to be highly efficient and quickly provide room heat. They are also easy to install, as they do not require any venting or chimney work. However, they may require additional ventilation to ensure that the room is properly ventilated and that the air quality is not affected by the combustion by-products.

How efficient are gas fires

The efficiency of gas fires can vary depending on the specific model and design. Some gas fires are more efficient than others. Gas fires are generally less efficient than other heating sources, such as electric heaters or heat pumps, but more efficient than open fires.


A traditional gas fire typically has an efficiency of around 60%. This means that 60% of the heat produced by the burning gas is used to heat the room, while the remaining 40% is lost up the chimney.

Flueless gas fires, also known as vent-free gas fires, have an efficiency rate of around 99% because all the heat generated is radiated into the room, and no heat is lost through a chimney or vent.

Also, some modern gas fires have efficiencies of up to 90% or more due to the implementation of advanced technology, such as balanced flue or power flue systems, which help keep heat loss to a minimum. Additionally, some gas fires now have modulating systems that can adjust the amount of gas being burned, allowing you to heat your room more efficiently.

In summary, the efficiency of gas fires can vary, but modern and well-designed gas fires can be quite efficient and provide a reliable source of heat for your home.

How much do gas fires cost?

This depends on the make and model of the fire. As gas fires come in a massive variety of sizes and types, the actual price of individual models varies. For example, we supply everything from hole-in-the-wall gas fires to tunnel fires, and the cost of the unit and installation is different for every home. Please get in touch with us directly if you're interested in a customised gas fire quote.

The above is a sample of customers' questions before purchasing a fire. If you have more questions, please feel free to reach out to our Cork location today.